SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — At least 34 people statewide have contracted norovirus in recent weeks in California after eating raw oysters harvested in British Columbia, Canada, health officials said Saturday of State.
The state Department of Health has issued a warning not to eat raw oysters imported from British Columbia, where authorities have closed several growing regions for health contamination.
In California, people who ate oysters at nine restaurants across the state between March 11 and March 19 reported falling ill. Illnesses associated with BC oysters have also been reported in other US states, the ministry said.
Despite issuing several recalls of B.C. oysters, the Department of Health said it continues to receive reports of people falling ill. He advised restaurants and retailers to check their inventory and shell labels to ensure that potentially contaminated raw oysters are not available for purchase and to discard any remaining contaminated oysters.
Canada has reported more than 270 cases of gastrointestinal illness linked to the consumption of raw oysters.
Norovirus is contagious and causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and fever.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.